Asian Domain Name Scam
Have you ever received an email from a Chinese domain name registrar suggesting that someone is trying to register your brand as a .CN domain name? Watch this video and find out more about this scam.
If you found this video useful, subscribe to our YouTube channel. We post new content all the time!
If you have a brand you want to protect, let's get on a quick call to discuss your trademarking strategy.
NARRATOR: Catherine runs a bakery, BEST BAGEL EVER.COM
NARRATOR: Catherine receives an email.
MALE VOICE [WITH CHINESE ACCENT]: This email is from China domain name registration center, which mainly deal with the domain name registration in China and Asia. We received an application from Xiu Yong Dong on February 30, 2014. They want to register BESTBAGELEVER as their internet keyword and China/Asia/Hongkong (CN/ASIA/HK) domain names. But after checking it, we find this name conflicts with your company. In order to deal with this matter better, so we send you email and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China or not?
CATHERINE: What the hell is that?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Hello, Trademark Factory here
CATHERINE: I just got this weird email from someone in China about my trademark...
TRADEMARK FACTORY: It tells you that someone wants to register it as a domain name?
CATHERINE: Yes, how did you know?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: And it asks you if you authorized it?
CATHERINE: Yes, exactly!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Did they suggest you should register the domain name yourself?
CATHERINE: Not really. Not yet, at least... So what should I do?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Ignore it! The same way you ignore spam about buying replica watches, receiving inheritance from a Nigerian prince or enlarging your manhood.
CATHERINE (surprised): My what?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Never mind. All they are trying to do is sell you an asian domain name. I suppose you don't need a .CN domain name. Otherwise you would have already registered one in the first place.
CATHERINE: Of course, I don't sell my bagels to China
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Don’t feel obligated to reciprocate a good act of a stranger: no one is trying to register your trademark as a Chinese domain name. In reality, someone is simply trying to sell you something you don’t need by creating artificial urgency and scarcity that simply isn’t there.
CATHERINE: I almost bought into this!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: So again, the correct way to respond to such emails is by pressing a delete button.
CATHERINE: thought it would help me protect my brand!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Your brand is your valuable asset. Registering your trademarks is a much better way to protect your intellectual property compared to buying up useless domain names.
CATHERINE: Thank you!
Disclaimer: Please note that this cartoon is not and is not intended as legal advice. Your situation may be different from the facts assumed in this cartoon. Your watching this cartoon does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Trademark Factory International Inc., and you should not rely on this cartoon as the only source of information to make important decisions about your intellectual property.
Watch our other cartoons or leave your comments below!
comments powered by Disqus
Watch our other cartoons:
- 7 Benefits of Registering Trademarks ()
- ™ vs. ® - Unregistered And Registered Trademarks ()
- Trademarks vs. Trade Names ()
- Should I Register My Trademarks? ()
- Why Use a Trademark Professional to Register Trademarks ()
- Why Use Trademark Factory® to Register Trademarks ()
- Trademark Registration Process in Canada ()
- Trademark Factory® Money-Back Guarantee ()
- Asian Domain Name Scam ()
- Unofficial Trademark Catalog Scam ()
- 4 Important Elements of a Trademark Application ()
- Will My Canadian Trademark Protect Me in the U.S. ()
- Will My U.S. Trademark Protect Me in Canada ()
- How to Select a Great Trademark? ()
- How Can Canadian Businesses Protect their Brands Internationally ()
- How Long is a Trademark Registration Valid For? When to Renew a Trademark Registration ()
- What is a Trademark? ()
- What Does "Using a Trademark" Mean? ()
- Combined Trademarks - File Separately or Together? ()
- Claiming Color as a Feature of a Trademark ()
- Trademark Examination Stage ()
- "Clearly Descriptive" Trademarks ()
- Confusing Marks ()
- What Are Prohibited Marks? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Patents? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Copyright? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Industrial Designs (a.k.a. Design Patents)? ()
- Trademarking Personal Names ()
- How Not To Invalidate Your Trademark. Proper Use Of Trademarks. ()
- USPTO Supplemental Register ()
- Conducting an Initial Trademark Search - Why Is It More Difficult than It Seems? ()
- Cancelling Somebody Else’s Trademarks ()