Will My U.S. Trademark Protect Me in Canada
In this video you will learn whether your U.S. trademark will protect you in Canada (or other countries) and how to use the Paris Convention to your advantage.
If you found this video useful, subscribe to our YouTube channel. We post new content all the time!
If you have a brand you want to protect, let's get on a quick call to discuss your trademarking strategy.
DAVE: Thank you for coming out.
NARRATOR: Dave is a rockstar. He is the founder of a rock band IRON SUSPENDERS that is quickly gaining popularity around the world. He wants to trademark the name of the band but wants to find out how far the protection will take him.
DAVE: How did you like the concert?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: It was great. Looks like you are getting a lot of traction with your music.
DAVE: Yeah, our new record is going gold.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: You must be very proud. So how can I help?
DAVE: I know we want to protect our brand. What I was wondering is whether registering it as a trademark in the U.S. would protect us anywhere else?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: With very few exceptions that you should not rely on, the answer is no. Trademark protection is national, which means that you are only protected in the country where the trademark is registered.
DAVE: But didn't you say that the protection is Federal?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Exactly. Your U.S. registration protects you in every state, but not outside the United States.
DAVE: So how do we protect the brand in Canada?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: You would need to file a separate trademark application with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Good news is that both the U.S. and Canada are parties to the Paris Convention that gives you a 6-months grace period. Here's how it works.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Let's say you file your application in the U.S. on May 1, 2014.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Someone else, let's call him Richard, files an application for the same name in Canada on August 12, 2014.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: You have until November 1, 2014 to file your applications in any other countries, and such future applications will prevail over applications for confusingly similar marks filed by anyone else.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: So if you file your application in Canada BEFORE November 1, 2014, then Richard's trademark application will be refused, because you can claim the date back to the date of your U.S. application.
DAVE: There ya go!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: However, if you DON’T file your application in the U.S. by November 1, 2014, then Richard's trademark application will be approved, and will prevent you from registering your trademark in the U.S.
DAVE: We better get my applications filed soon then.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: We're ready when you are. And don't forget to watch our video about international trademark applications! It may be very useful!
DAVE: I sure will.
Disclaimer: Please note that this cartoon is not and is not intended as legal advice. Your situation may be different from the facts assumed in this cartoon. Your watching this cartoon does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Trademark Factory International Inc., and you should not rely on this cartoon as the only source of information to make important decisions about your intellectual property.
Watch our other cartoons or leave your comments below!
comments powered by Disqus
Watch our other cartoons:
- 7 Benefits of Registering Trademarks ()
- ™ vs. ® - Unregistered And Registered Trademarks ()
- Trademarks vs. Trade Names ()
- Should I Register My Trademarks? ()
- Why Use a Trademark Professional to Register Trademarks ()
- Why Use Trademark Factory® to Register Trademarks ()
- Trademark Registration Process in Canada ()
- Trademark Factory® Money-Back Guarantee ()
- Asian Domain Name Scam ()
- Unofficial Trademark Catalog Scam ()
- 4 Important Elements of a Trademark Application ()
- Will My Canadian Trademark Protect Me in the U.S. ()
- Will My U.S. Trademark Protect Me in Canada ()
- How to Select a Great Trademark? ()
- How Can Canadian Businesses Protect their Brands Internationally ()
- How Long is a Trademark Registration Valid For? When to Renew a Trademark Registration ()
- What is a Trademark? ()
- What Does "Using a Trademark" Mean? ()
- Combined Trademarks - File Separately or Together? ()
- Claiming Color as a Feature of a Trademark ()
- Trademark Examination Stage ()
- "Clearly Descriptive" Trademarks ()
- Confusing Marks ()
- What Are Prohibited Marks? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Patents? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Copyright? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Industrial Designs (a.k.a. Design Patents)? ()
- Trademarking Personal Names ()
- How Not To Invalidate Your Trademark. Proper Use Of Trademarks. ()
- USPTO Supplemental Register ()
- Conducting an Initial Trademark Search - Why Is It More Difficult than It Seems? ()
- Cancelling Somebody Else’s Trademarks ()